Home

Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor live updates: Former Prince looks dishevelled after release from UK lock-up

Peta Rasdien and Matt ShrivellThe Nightly
CommentsComments
VideoAndrew Mountbatten-Windsor has been arrested on suspicion of misconduct in public office, with officers conducting searches at multiple properties he previously lived in.

Scroll down for the latest news and updates.

Andrew the first royal to be arrested in nearly 400 years

Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor is the first royal to be arrested in nearly 400 years.

The last was King Charles 1 who was taken into custody in 1647 and beheaded for high treason two years later.

His last words from the scaffold were: “I go from a corruptible to an incorruptible crown, where no disturbance can be, no disturbance in the world.”

Insider reveals ‘shattered’ Andrew’s state of mind

An insider has given an insight into Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor’s state of mind as he reels from his bombshell arrest.

The former royal is “shattered”, with the insider claiming timing of the arrest — which unfolded on Thursday — left the former prince reeling.

“He is shattered at the thought of his every email now being in the hands of the police”, the insider said.

Read the full story

‘Extraordinary fall from grace’: Albanese responds to Andrew’s arrest

Anthony Albanese says Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor has suffered “quite an extraordinary fall from grace” after having been “someone who had such an esteemed position and was in a position really of absolute privilege”.

The Prime Minister made his first comments on the former prince’s arrest to The Guardian’s podcast on Friday.

“These are very serious allegations, and because they will be, no doubt, the subject of court action, I’m limited in what I can say,” Mr Albanese said.

“But people will be following the detail here. This appears to be about [classified] documents, and whether they were inappropriately forwarded on to someone who wasn’t eligible. But, of course, there’s the bigger issue as well when it comes to Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor. No doubt, we will wait and see where this all goes.

“To see this decline and fall is extraordinary.”

Eloise Budimlich

Andrew’s arrest is a staggering blow to the royal family

Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor’s arrest, on suspicion of misconduct in public office, was a staggering blow to the British monarchy.

Misconduct in public office is committed when a public officer “willfully neglects to perform their duty” or “willfully misconducts themselves” in abuse of the public trust.

No case has ever tested whether a member of the royal family could be considered a public officer.

But in addition to serving as a government trade envoy, Andrew was a helicopter pilot for the Royal Navy during the war with Argentina over the Falkland Islands in 1982.

Read the full story

Where former prince Andrew appears in the Epstein files

The release of the Epstein files in the US turbo-charged Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor’s downfall.

Here we outline all the key mentions of the former prince, including him forwarding official documents and other internal material to convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein in 2010, when he was a government envoy.

Read the full story

ANALYSIS: Royal reckoning on cards with shadow over Queen’s legacy

The royal family cannot hide from the overdue reckoning the disgraced former prince’s arrest brings.

Many will rush to say how tremendous a reflection it is on the British system that a royal is not above the law.

But it was the US Congress’ action in releasing the Epstein files that has triggered this course of events.

It was not the result of any actions from the royal family, and arguably, the late Queen protected her son when she should not have.

Andrew’s behaviour was tolerated for years. It is why he kept up his association with Epstein after his conviction. He evidently never feared that it would catch up with him.

And why would he think any differently. It never did. Not while his mother, the Queen was alive.

Read Latika M Bourke’s analysis here

‘Now he’s sweating’: How British tabloids responded to Andrew’s arrest

Former prince Andrew’s face as he’s slumped in the back of a vehicle has been splashed across front pages across the globe after his arrest.

The notoriously combative British tabloids have not disappointed with their razor sharp takes on the extraordinary events of the past 24 hours.

The Star's frontpage on Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor's arrest.
Camera IconThe Star's frontpage on Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor's arrest. Credit: The Star
The Sun
Camera IconThe Sun Credit: Supplied
Daily Mail UK's Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor frontpage.
Camera IconDaily Mail UK's Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor frontpage. Credit: Daily Mail
Daily Mirror
Camera IconDaily Mirror Credit: Supplied

Brekkie TV star rapped over ‘tone-deaf’ Andrew remark

A breakfast TV host in the UK has come under fire after comments she made regarding Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor to viewers live on air.

Popular ITV journalist Alison Hammond has found herself at the centre of a social media storm after making an off-the-cut remark about the former prince’s arrest.

Read the full story here

Business as usual for King Charles and Queen Camilla

Hours after his brother was arrested and grilled by detectives over allegations of public misconduct, King Charles and Queen Camilla continued their public duties.

For Charles, that meant smiling and chatting with the public as he attended London Fashion Week and for Camilla, meeting Dame Anna Wintour, Vogue magazine doyenne.

Earlier, the King had issued a statement saying he was “deeply concerned” by the arrest of his younger brother.

Read the full story

King Charles III talks with young British fashion designers (Photo by Richard Pohle - WPA Pool/Getty Images)
Camera IconKing Charles III talks with young British fashion designers (Photo by Richard Pohle - WPA Pool/Getty Images) Credit: Getty Images
King Charles III on the front row for British-Nigerian designer Tolu Coker, the opening show of London fashion week (Photo by Richard Pohle - WPA Pool/Getty Images)
Camera IconKing Charles III on the front row for British-Nigerian designer Tolu Coker, the opening show of London fashion week (Photo by Richard Pohle - WPA Pool/Getty Images) Credit: Getty Images
Queen Camilla with Dame Anna Wintour, right. (Photo by Chris Jackson/Getty Images)
Camera IconQueen Camilla with Dame Anna Wintour, right. (Photo by Chris Jackson/Getty Images) Credit: Getty Images

Australian politicians respond to Andrew’s ‘fall from grace’

Health Minister Mark Butler has commented on Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor’s arrest and “fall from grace”.

“As the king said, the law must follow its course. There’s not much we can appropriately say about the potential for charges,” he told 7NEWS.

“But ... what a fall from grace. A man we knew for decades as Prince Andrew ... is just now a man in his 60s from Norfolk.

“I think all of our thoughts as human beings ... go to the girls and the women who were caught up in this hideous network of powerful men that Jeffrey Epstein pulled together.

“And we’re starting to see some accountability for those awful years.”

Deputy Liberal leader Jane Hume said Andrew faced a “very serious allegation” and the full course of thelaw should be allowed to take its place.

Get the latest news from thewest.com.au in your inbox.

Sign up for our emails