Rockingham City FC: Spectator hurls glass beer bottle at Mandurah player after match, investigation launched

Hannah CrossSound Telegraph
VideoRockingham v Mandurah

Football West has launched an investigation into an incident at a State soccer league match over the weekend, saying any identified parties face “heavy sanctions” — including a “lengthy ban” from all Football West games.

The governing body confirmed its ongoing investigation into the incident, which happened at Lark Hill Sporting Complex on Saturday.

The atmosphere at the match between Mandurah City FC and Rockingham City FC quickly turned sour when a man — believed to be a parent of a Rockingham City player — allegedly hurled a glass bottle at a Mandurah City player after full time.

An angry spectator has thrown a glass beer bottle at Mandurah City FC players after a match against Rockingham City on Saturday.
Camera IconA man flicks the angry spectator and slaps the side of his head before running off into the tunnels. Credit: Streamer

Get in front of tomorrow's news for FREE

Journalism for the curious Australian across politics, business, culture and opinion.


The sideline attack happened as Mandurah players walked off the field via the tunnels after winning the match 3-0.

The match also had been stopped earlier during play when a flare was thrown on to the pitch.

Footage from after the game shows the man yelling at players before another man flicks and then taps him in the side of the head before darting down the tunnels.

The spectator can then be seen pelting the beer bottle towards the man and other Mandurah players as the tension in the stands heightened.

Match officials at at Lark Hill Sporting Complex quickly intervened, attempting to calm the impending chaos, before the man jumped from the stands and charged down the tunnel after the Mandurah players.

He pushed through match officials who were attempting to hold him back but managed to break free and rush the tunnels before being brought back out a short time later.

An angry spectator has thrown a glass beer bottle at Mandurah City FC players after a match against Rockingham City on Saturday.
Camera IconThe man had to be restrained by several match officials. Credit: Streamer

Spectators continued yelling and gesturing obscenities at each other before another fan jumped onto the pitch and attempted to rush the opposing fans in the stand.

Football West denounced the incident, saying “any parties found to have breached the Code of Conduct will face sanctions”.

“Football West strongly condemns the throwing of the glass bottle at the end of the game,” a spokesperson said.

“The spectator involved, once identified, faces heavy sanctions including a lengthy ban from all Football West matches.

“The overwhelming majority of people who attend our games do the right thing and are a credit to the sport.”

The governing body said it would continue working with clubs “to provide a safe and inclusive environment”.

It comes just weeks after another clash between angry fans at a different state league match which saw a 22-year-old hospitalised for head injuries following being struck with a flying glass bottle.

In September, another angry spectator got into a brief scuffle with Mandurah City import Leigh Griffiths but Football West did not take any action.

When asked about the latest incident Premier Mark McGowan urged fans to “behave” at community sporting matches.

“Sometimes people have a few too many drinks and they get too emotional and it can have devastating consequences,” Mr McGowan said.

“I just urge everyone to behave appropriately.”

Rockingham City FC said on the weekend its probe into the incident was pending, while Mandurah City FC president Nigel Mann said on Monday the club was waiting for Football West’s investigation “to be finalised”.

“No actions will be known until then,” he said.

Get the latest news from thewest.com.au in your inbox.

Sign up for our emails