Exciting weekend of pedalling action on Dog Hill circuit

Nick CowieSound Telegraph

The Dog Hill circuit in Baldivis saw action at the weekend, with the Peel District Cycling Club taking to the circuit on Saturday afternoon.

In the A-grade, with just over a lap to go, Paul Miller attacked.

He had a small gap at the bell and managed to maintain it to take the win.

Andrew Brierley led a very strung-out bunch over the line for second and Luke Banham was third.

The bigger B-grade kept a tight rein on the attacks with sheer numbers.

With a couple of kilometres to go, it looked like it would end in the usual bunch sprint.

Then the attacks started and riders got clear of the bunch.

Michael Jensen, Jamie Sharpe and Aron Barclay managed to stay clear of the chasers, with Jensen first, Sharpe second and Barclay third.

C-grade blew apart at the end of the first lap, with a group of three riders, being chased by two and everybody else scattered along the course.

Next lap, it was two riders being chased by three and that is how it remained for the rest of the race.

Tim Watson took the win from Darryl Harris, with Corey Gaidzionis third.

In the fourth lap of an otherwise sedate D-grade race, here were attacks on the rise up St Albans Road, another attack into the headwind on St Albans and then in the crosswinds on Young Road, Kyla Gilbertson attacked.

She was joined by Clint Hort and the pair established a small lead, which they maintained to the finish, with Gilbertson taking the win.

Ashton Sime was third.

If there was an award for most persistent rider, it would go to Josh Trinne, Who as the only rider in E-grade, had to battle the wind for three laps alone.

On Sunday morning, the West Coast Masters took to the circuit.

As on Saturday, the numbers in A-grade were down because of the Collie Donnybrook and Return race.

But riders were constantly attacking and being brought back, then there was a group of four off the front.

The riders behind chased hard, but the bunch disintegrated, leaving the four then three to ride away.

In the end, it was Patrick Hayburn first, Paul Miller in second and Matt Upton third.

In the B-grade, there was a big bunch of 30 riders with a willingness to chase every attack down quickly.

It was a little surprising that with just over a lap to go, five strong riders got away and they managed to stay away on the final lap, with Keith Winch taking the sprint from Neil Roscoe and visiting German rider Robin Schuman.

The C-grade showed the B-grade, how to do it.

With 20 riders, they chased down every attack, and in the bunch sprint, it was Eddy Pope first, Iain Dow-Vine second and Phil Davidson third.

With a lap-and-a-half to go, three riders got off the front of D-grade.

It looked like they might stay away as the bunch struggled to chased them down.

However, with less than a lap to go, they were caught by a reduced bunch.

In the sprint, it was Clinton Hort first, Lawrence Fahey second and John Shattock third.

E-grade, with its smaller numbers, stayed together and in the sprint it was Gerry Allen first, Pat Briggs second and Rod Babel third.

Get the latest news from thewest.com.au in your inbox.

Sign up for our emails