West Aussies Teague Wyllie, Aaron Hardie and Joel Paris named for Australia A series against New Zealand
Teenager Teague Wyllie is among a trio of West Aussies picked for Australia’s A tour of New Zealand next month in a sign he’s on the national selectors’ radar.
The Rockingham-Mandurah product joins all-rounder Aaron Hardie and left-arm quick Joel Paris in the 14-player squad for two four-day matches against New Zealand A in Lincoln.
Wyllie has bounced back from getting omitted for WA’s Sheffield Shield side to play the last two matches, making an important contribution in both innings against Tasmania in Hobart recently.
Hardie is coming off a title in the Big Bash and more recently the Marsh Cup and is expected to feature prominently in the next two shield games, likewise with Wyllie and Paris ahead of the decider starting at the WACA Ground on March 23.
It’s a series designed to prepare the Australians for English conditions ahead of the Ashes mid-year with the Dukes ball getting used.
Players with upcoming English County deals weren’t considered for the squad.
“The squad contains some experienced, strong performers in state cricket, along with several emerging players we believe have exciting futures ahead of them,” Australian chairman of selectors George Bailey said.
“We are committed to the continued expansion of the Australia A program and these games are specifically designed to expose these players to conditions they may not experience in Australia.
“With an Ashes this winter and a tour of New Zealand early next year, this is a great opportunity for this group to perform in similar environments to those countries.
“Having Pete Handsomb, Matt Renshaw, Mitch Swepson and Jimmy Peirson will add experience as senior players who can impart their knowledge of different conditions.”
Australia will then host New Zealand for two four-day matches and three one-day games in Brisbane later this year.
Australia A squad
- Wes Agar (SA/Northern Districts CC)
- Xavier Bartlett (QLD/Gold Coast CC)
- Aaron Hardie (WA/Willeton CC)
- Peter Handscomb (VIC/St Kilda Cricket Club)
- Spencer Johnson (SA/West Torrens CC)
- Campbell Kellaway (VIC/Melbourne CC)
- Nathan McSweeney (SA/Glenelg CC)
- Joel Paris (WA/Claremont-Nedlands CC)
- Mitch Perry (VIC/Richmond CC)
- Jimmy Pierson (QLD/Redlands CC)
- Matthew Renshaw (QLD/ Toombul District CC)
- Mitchell Swepson (QLD/ Sandgate-Redcliffe Cricket Club)
- Tim Ward (TAS/University of Tasmania CC)
- Teague Wyllie (WA/ Rockingham-Mandurah CC)
Get the latest news from thewest.com.au in your inbox.
Sign up for our emails