VideoFour Sydney Swans players are assisting Victoria Police with an investigation into alleged sexual assault at a Melbourne hotel following their 36-point victory over Essendon.

Sydney Swans head coach Dean Cox has spoken publicly for the first time since police launched an investigation into an alleged assault involving “several” of the club’s players.

Cox addressed reporters outside the Swans’ headquarters on Tuesday morning after Victoria Police attended the Pullman Hotel in East Melbourne on Monday and said they were investigating a report of sexual assault in the early hours of the morning.

On Monday, 7NEWS revealed Isaac Heeney, Chad Warner, James Jordon and Riley Bice were being questioned by police over the alleged assault.

This masthead is not suggesting the players are guilty of any wrongdoing, just that they are assisting police with enquiries.

“Extremely disappointed with what’s happened and understand the questions and will update when we have more information,” Cox told the media.

Read more...
Camera IconCallum Mills on Tuesday. Credit: Ben Symons/NCA NewsWire

“We are working our way through everything with the AFL and all parties and will update when we have more information.”

Cox’s comments were followed by Swans skipper Callum Mills as he arrived at Sydney HQ later in the morning.

“I can’t really comment - it’s an investigation (that’s) ongoing, and we don’t have the facts yet,” he said.

Victoria Police released an updated statement on Tuesday morning with the investigation now with the Sexual Crimes Squad.

“Detectives from the Sexual Crimes Squad are investigating a report of a sexual assault in East Melbourne on 17 August,” the statement read, as cited by the Herald Sun.

“The incident occurred at a hotel on Wellington Parade in the early hours of the morning. The exact circumstances are yet to be established and the investigation into the incident remains ongoing.

“Police spoke to a number of people at the hotel; however, no one has been arrested or formally interviewed at this time.”

Victorian Premier Ben Carroll has thrown his support behind the alleged victims in the wake of the incident.

“It is so important that every girl, woman, not only feels safe but is safe and knows that they are protected and that they can be safe going about their everyday lives,” Mr Carroll said on Tuesday.

“This is horrible what has been reported. It is under police investigation.

“But every young woman, young girl, every female deserves to be treated with respect and to be given the safety that they deserve.

“At the State Government, we have a lot of victim support services, and they will be available for any victim, including this person.”

Fremantle coach Justin Longmuir said it was “surprising” to learn that several Sydney players were being investigated over an alleged sexual assault, but doesn’t feel the need to remind his own team members of their obligations.

“It’s a bit surprising, I guess, to see something like that come out,” Longmuir said when asked about the issue facing the Swans on Tuesday morning.

“I’m not going to comment on it any further. They’re serious allegations that have been made, and being investigated, and I just don’t see how everyone piling on is going to help.”

The outpouring of public comment comes as Sydney and the AFL face a decision on whether to stand down several Swans players under investigation over the alleged sexual assault.

Your user agent does not support frames or is currently configured not to display frames. This frame is attempting to link to https://omny.fm/shows/news-worthy/broome-bishop-chris-reason-on-the-investigation-that-brought-down-christopher-saunders/embed

Sydney chief executive Matthew Pavlich on Monday afternoon confirmed several players had been involved in an “alleged incident” but refused to say whether any had been arrested.

Pavlich said the club was working with the AFL and relevant authorities but that since it was an ongoing police matter he could not give more detail than that.

“We’re still piecing together exactly what’s transpired here and have our own set of internal inquiries ongoing,” Pavlich said.

“But, safe to say that we’re extremely shocked and disappointed that this has taken place and that the players have found themselves in this situation.”

As of Monday evening, no players had been charged in regard to the investigation, which is ongoing.

The AFL is yet to comment on the matter.

Anyone with information that could assist police with their investigation are urged to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000. Reports can be made anonymously.

1800 RESPECT: 1800 737 732

National Sexual Abuse and Redress Support Service: 1800 211 028

with AAP

Your user agent does not support frames or is currently configured not to display frames. This frame is attempting to link to https://omny.fm/shows/news-worthy/only-wa-benefits-huge-gst-change-wanted-by-productivity-commission-will-albo-cave/embed

Get the latest news from thewest.com.au in your inbox.

Sign up for our emails