A laser hair removal device found during a security screening at an airport’s domestic terminal has been identified as the suspicious item that triggered a large-scale emergency evacuation.
A major emergency response was launched and Avalon Airport was shut down just after 6am on Thursday following the discovery of the device.
Police said bomb squad checks concluded the item was a laser hair removal device.
The airport, near Geelong and Melbourne, earlier turned people away, and was even forced to hold passengers from a flight in an area of a carpark as the bomb squad moved in.
Victoria Police confirmed they were called to the scene on Thursday morning.
“Emergency services were called to the premises just before 6am on 21 May,” a spokesperson told The Nightly.
“The building has been evacuated and area cordoned off as a precaution while the investigation is ongoing.”
A bomb response robot was seen by the 7NEWS chopper entering the airport on Thursday morning.

Melbourne Avalon Airport confirmed that the airport’s closure, claiming a person had now been detained.
“The domestic terminal at Melbourne Avalon Airport was evacuated this morning following the identification of a suspicious item during the screening process,” a spokesperson confirmed.
“Victoria Police attended and an individual has been detained.
“At this stage, passengers are being advised that, due to safety precautions, delays are expected to the Brisbane flight this morning. We will provide further updates regarding any additional delays as more information becomes available.”
“Everyone is being turned away and asked to park on the road,” a person told Geelong Radio station Bay 93.9.
“We pulled up next to someone who said it was apparently a bomb scare.
“There’s cars everywhere outside.”
A flight to Brisbane has since been delayed, according to Lisa, who was due to fly out of the airport just before 9am.
She described the situation as “a bit of mayhem”, telling ABC Melbourne that “no one knew what was going on”.
“We knew something was fairly significant, lots of police cars going into the airport,” Lisa added.
Jetstar passengers received a message from the airline confirming Avalon Airport had been closed.
“There is a security incident at Avalon Airport this morning and the airport is currently closed. There are also road closures around the airport to be aware of.
“We apologise for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience.”
- with AAP
Get the latest news from thewest.com.au in your inbox.
Sign up for our emails