A 12-year-old has been arrested and released without charge as police continue to investigate a suspicious fire at the abandoned Rockingham Hotel on Thursday night. Six firefighting crews were called to the blaze at the abandoned hotel at about 6pm and it was extinguished about half an hour later. A DFES spokeswoman said the blaze damaged offices in the first storey of the pub and was put out as the flames reached the roof and walls. Footage taken by bystanders showed firefighters shoving hoses through a window into the burning structure. No injuries were reported. A WA Police spokeswoman confirmed on Friday afternoon that following investigations by Rockingham Detectives, a 12-year-old had been arrested in connection to the incident and interviewed by police. They were released without charge as the detectives continue to conduct further investigate the circumstances surrounding the fire, which is being treated as suspicious. The hotel, which sits on a 11,497sqm site, was purchased earlier this year by Foreshore Group Pty Ltd who have a proposal to redevelop the site with plans for a tavern, function centre and accommodation among their plans, to be operated by the owners of The Camfield, Three Pound Group. The City of Rockingham is currently seeking comment on two planning proposals relating to the hotel — one is a request for the pub’s Local Heritage List status to be modified, and the other is to seek approval for its demolition. Foreshore Group has rejected speculation linking it to the blaze. Foreshore Group director Hugh McLernon dismissed the rumours and told Sound Telegraph he was not surprised to hear them. “All good criminal investigation begins with the question as to who benefited from the crime, so I am not surprised that many have rushed to judgment and queried whether the owners had a hand in the blaze,” Mr McLernon said. “However, the owners understand that the police have already determined the fire was caused, whether deliberately or otherwise, by children who were questioned and released, so that the conspiracy theorists were mistaken on this occasion.” Mr McLernon said the hotel’s “decrepit condition” was what led to Foreshore Group wanting to demolish the building and last week’s fire was the latest in a series of acts of vandalism. Having bought the site earlier this year, Foreshore Group has an application before the City of Rockingham to demolish the historic pub and other associated buildings. A tavern, function centre and accommodation are planned for the rebuild. “Our demolition application for the hotel is based squarely on its current decrepit condition prior to the fire,” he said. “It is a destruction magnet which has proved impossible to protect. “This fire is just the latest in a long line of vandalism which has continued despite our best efforts to prevent it. “The owners have invited members of the historical society to visit the hotel so as to observe for themselves its sorry state, which is far from their recent description of it as an “architectural gem”, but so far that invitation has not been taken up.” The Sound Telegraph reported in October several local historians were objecting to the demolition of the pub, including Rockingham Historical Society president Carol Durant who said “the heart of Rockingham beach will be ripped out if this building is removed”. The City of Rockingham is currently seeking comment on planning proposals lodged by Foreshore Group to seek the hotel’s demolition and for the its Local Heritage List status to be modified.