Nathan Phillip Simmonds pleads guilty to domestic violence assault that left partner unconscious

Tyra PetersSound Telegraph
A 33-year-old man has pleaded guilty to serious domestic violence charges.
Camera IconA 33-year-old man has pleaded guilty to serious domestic violence charges. Credit: Simon Santi/The West Australian

A Parmelia man has pleaded guilty to a serious assault on his partner that caused her to lose consciousness after an argument.

Nathan Phillip Simmonds, 33, appeared before Rockingham Magistrates Court on one count of unlawful assault and impede breathing.

Prosecutor Senior Constable Mick Fallows told the court that Simmonds and his partner became involved in a verbal argument about 6am on October 16.

The argument turned physical and the pair shoved each other back and forth.

Get in front of tomorrow's news for FREE

Journalism for the curious Australian across politics, business, culture and opinion.


Simmonds then punched the victim to the right side of the head, causing her to bleed.

The victim then scratched him, cutting his left knuckle.

Simmonds grabbed the victim and squeezed her neck, causing her to lose consciousness.

Duty lawyer Stacey Byrne said the facts of the case were accepted.

Ms Byrne said Simmonds had limited memory of the allegations due to his own mental health decline and simply “blacked out” at the time of the incident, but he took full responsibility.

She said that since becoming a full-time carer to his partner, who has bipolar disorder, his own mental health had been affected and he had been “bottling up his frustrations for some time”.

Ms Byrne said Simmonds had taken his partner to hospital several times for professional help but due to the current state of the health care system limited assistance had been available to the couple.

“Since the incident, Mr Simmonds has taken positive steps to address his own mental health and has booked in to see a psychologist in an effort to regulate his mental health and learn how to deal with being a carer,” she said.

Magistrate Lynette Dias said the incident was an example of an “imbalance of power and imbalance of strength”.

“It is very serious, there is no doubt about that,” Ms Dias said.

Simmonds received a 12-month community-based order with supervision and program requirements and was ordered to pay $137 in court costs.

1800 RESPECT (1800 737 732)

Lifeline 13 11 14

Get the latest news from thewest.com.au in your inbox.

Sign up for our emails