Cape Peron future on the agenda
The State Government is looking into establishing a working group to investigate the future of Cape Peron.
City of Rockingham Deputy Mayor Deb Hamblin said following a council resolution in August that supported the classification of Cape Peron being transferred to a Class A reserve, the mayor and City officers had met last month with Planning Minister Rita Saffioti.
A spokesman from Ms Saffioti’s office said the Minister had preliminary discussions regarding Cape Peron with the City of Rockingham during the meeting.
“The minister is looking at establishing a working group led by the Department of Planning, Lands and Heritage including the City of Rockingham, the Department of Biodiversity, Conservation and Attractions along with other relevant government agencies and departments,” a spokesman from Ms Saffioti’s office said.
“The State Government is keen to progress a planning investigation for the area with input from the local community and the City of Rockingham.”
A public clean-up of Point Peron is taking place this Saturday from 9am, meeting at Mangles Bay Beach carpark on Esplanade opposite Vista Avenue.
Participants are urged to bring gloves, a hat, water, sunscreen and closed footwear.
Contact James Mumme on 9527 5339 or 0455 157 547.
Get the latest news from thewest.com.au in your inbox.
Sign up for our emails