Bushfires threaten Baldivis
An out-of-control bushfire is threatening lives and homes in parts of Baldivis, western parts of Mardella and northern parts of Hopeland in the City of Rockingham and the Shire of Serpentine-Jarrahdale.
The fire started near the intersection of Karnup Road and Young Road in Baldivis, is moving fast in a north easterly direction and had burnt about 313ha of land so far.
About 150 Career Fire and Rescue Service, Volunteer Fire and Rescue Service, Bush Fire Service, Volunteer Fire and Emergency Services, Parks and Wildlife Service firefighters are attending.
Aerial support has also been sent to assist ground crews, with at least five air crews helping out, taking water from a nearby lake or dam to dump over the fire.
A bushfire emergency warning has been issued for parts of Baldivis, western parts of Mardella and northern parts of Hopeland in the City of Rockingham and Shire of Serpentine-Jarrahdale.
People bounded by Kwinana Freeway to the west, Mundijong Road to the north, Kargotich Road and Rapids Road to the east and Karnup Road to the south are in danger and need to act immediately.
A bushfire watch and act has also been issued for parts of Baldivis, Wellard, Oldbury, Cardup, Mundijong, Whitby, Serpentine and Mardella.
Bushfire advice has been issued for parts of Casuarina, southern parts of Oakford, western parts of Byford and northern parts of Cardup and Oldbury.
WHAT TO DO:
- If the way is clear, leave now for a safer place.
- Do not wait and see, leaving at the last minute is deadly.
- Close all doors and windows and turn off evaporative air conditioners, but keep water running through the system if possible.
- If you cannot leave, you need to get ready to shelter in your home.
- Go to a room in your home away from the fire front and make sure you can easily escape.
- Choose a room with two exits and water such as a kitchen or laundry.
- If you are not at home, it’s too dangerous to return.
Several roads have been closed including Karnup Road between Young Road and Kwinana Freeway.
Motorists are asked to avoid the area, reduce speed and drive carefully due to smoke.
Get the latest news from thewest.com.au in your inbox.
Sign up for our emails