Woman faces court over police chase

Pierra WillixSound Telegraph
Three police cars have been damaged during a pursuit in Rockingham overnight.
Camera IconThree police cars have been damaged during a pursuit in Rockingham overnight. Credit: Supplied.

A 20 year old woman who allegedly led Police on a chase through the southern suburbs last night, damaging three Police cars and going through red lights at speeds of up to 100km/h has been refused bail.

Around 9pm , Police noticed a stolen vehicle parked in front of a home in Octans Court in Rockingham, with a woman in the driver’s seat.

Officers parked their car directly behind the stolen vehicle, when the driver Roza Lee Louise Gjengsto, then allegedly reversed the Toyota Landcruiser and rammed the front of the police car and drove off.

Ms Gjengsto allegedly led Police on the chase, which went through several suburbs including Rockingham, Cooloongup, Waikiki, Warnbro and Calista.

Get in front of tomorrow's news for FREE

Journalism for the curious Australian across politics, business, culture and opinion.


Trying to stop the chase, Police deployed a stinger, which deflated the front and back right tyres of the stolen car, however the chase continued, with Ms Gjengsto then allegedly driving on the wrong side of Gilmore Avenue for more than a kilometre.

The front right tyre shredded and she continued to travel on the rim.

The incident ended near the intersection of Ennis Ave and Dixon Road when the stolen vehicle rammed two Police vehicles and came to a stop.

Ms Gjengsto was removed from the car and later charged with two counts of assault with intent to prevent arrest, stealing a motor vehicle, reckless driving and reckless driving to escape pursuit by police and being the drive of a vehicle failing to comply with a direction to stop.

She was also charged with driving on a suspended licence.

She was the only person in the car during the pursuit.

Appearing in custody in the Rockingham Magistrate’s Court this morning, Ms Gjengsto was visibly distressed, crying when asked by Magistrate Leanne Atkins if she understood the charges.

Police prosecutor Naomi Foster said that multiple members of the public had been put at risk during the pursuit and that the risk of further offending was “high”.

Magistrate Leanne Atkins refused bail, saying that there was “a need to protect the public and police”.

It is not clear if any of the officers were seriously injured.

Ms Gjengsto did not plea to any of the charges and will appear in court again next Monday, February 25.

Get the latest news from thewest.com.au in your inbox.

Sign up for our emails