Cockroaches, food contamination and taped-over holes in the walls were just three reasons a Rockingham restaurant owner was fined $40,000, with the magistrate claiming photos “abundantly” showed customer’s health was “at serious risk”. The restaurant owner pleaded guilty to 10 counts of failing to comply with requirements listed in the Food Standards Code. The owner, Zhang’s Fresh Food, owns E&Z Hot Wok Sushi Noodle Bar on Robinson Road in Rockingham. City of Rockingham prosecutor David Gillett said the City had conducted multiple inspections and sent infringement notices in July and August last year, with no changes made. Mr Gillett said during the inspections food had been found sitting out at the wrong temperature and food that was in the refrigerator had been uncovered, leading to potential contamination. Cockroaches were found throughout the cupboards alongside opened dry ingredients such as breadcrumbs and in one instance, a cockroach had been found in a container of chicken. In addition, built-up grease and food waste was found on the walls, holes in the walls were covered with tape and the ceiling and floors were also in a state of disrepair. The restaurant’s lawyer Lily Chen said the defendant had pleaded guilty at the first available opportunity and had not intended to break the Food Standards Code. She also said the defendant’s director Bin Zhang had been confused by the infringement notices as he only spoke Chinese and that he had now started to make improvements to the restaurant. Mr Gillett said the City had started sending notices in Chinese from August 14 and also said if Zhang did not understand the first notices he should have endeavoured to find someone who could translate it for him. He also said the City had once again conducted an inspection at the restaurant and had seen some changes were being made, including the replacement of tables and chairs, but it was disappointing it had taken legal action for the changes to begin. Magistrate Vivian Edwards said photos of the restaurant made it very clear that there was a serious health risk posed to customers, pointing to a photograph of a water drain as “disgusting to look at”. Ms Edwards fined Zhang’s Fresh Food $40,000 and ordered court costs of $1827 be paid.