Rockingham Beach Cup cancelled
Just two weeks after tickets went on sale, organisers have cancelled the 2020 Rockingham Beach Cup and Carnival.
The event is the latest to fall victim to the COVID-19 pandemic, with organisers today confirming that the beach cup and associated carnival would not go ahead in November.
In a statement Rockingham Beach Cup committee chairwoman Donna McDonald said COVID19 safety directions and guidelines for events led to the “difficult decision” to cancel the event.
“It is with a heavy heart that we announce the cancellation of the Channel 7 Rockingham Beach Cup and Carnival 2020,” she said.
“The health and safety of our attendees, the wider community and all involved in the running of the event are of the utmost importance to us. We believe our decision to cancel the event will ensure we are taking all necessary steps to keep them safe and well.”
The event is planned, managed and run by the Rotary Club of Palm Beach, with help from local business owners, charities, and supported by local volunteers.
Ms McDonald said the club were “incredibly grateful" for the support and interest in this year’s event, which was scheduled for Saturday, November 14 and Sunday, November 15.
“We understand this will come as a great disappointment to many,” she said.
“We will be back in November 2021 for a Rockingham Beach Cup and Community Festival, bigger and better than ever.”
Last year’s event drew an estimated 16,000 people to the Rockingham foreshore over the course of the weekend. More than 7000 of these people were visitors from outside of the City.
Research that analysed the economic impact of the event in 2019 found it injected a total of $1.3 million into the local economy, including nearly $600,000 in spending by visitors.
More to come.
Get the latest news from thewest.com.au in your inbox.
Sign up for our emails