Man in court after big night out

Pierra WillixSound Telegraph
Rockingham Court.
Camera IconRockingham Court. Credit: WA News

A man who threatened police officers, paramedics, hospital staff and members of the public on a night out last year has been fined $3000 and ordered to pay $107.50 in court costs.

The 40 year old man appeared in the Rockingham Magistrate’s Court last Friday to be sentenced for three charges: being armed in a way that may cause fear; disorderly behaviour in a police station or lock-up; and disorderly behaviour in public.

The court was told about 8.30pm on November 1, the man was at The Swinging Pig in Rockingham with his 17-year-old son and both were removed by security staff after he became aggressive.

Once outside, his son began throwing punches at the security guards, and the man started to do the same.

Get in front of tomorrow's news for FREE

Journalism for the curious Australian across politics, business, culture and opinion.


The court was told the man ran to the nearby Red Rooster and came back with a timber pole, raising it above his head and trying to hit staff with it.

A victim waiting in line to get into the venue was approached by the man’s son and struck several times in the face, the court heard.

Later that night, about 8.50pm, St John Ambulance paramedics arrived at the man’s home in Waikiki after reports his son had been assaulted.

Police attended the property soon afterwards, after the man had tried to force himself into the ambulance.

His son was taken to Rockingham General Hospital by ambulance, but after the man arrived at the hospital, he began swearing at hospital staff and was arrested.

While in a cell, police said he was observed spitting and shouted racist taunts at a police officer.

During the hearing, Magistrate Leanne Atkins asked the man if he had a problem with alcohol and labelled his behaviour on the night “disgusting”.

He acknowledged his behaviour was unacceptable and said the night had “blown out of proportion”.

He said he had apologised to the police officer for the racist remarks, which were “not needed”. “I’m not proud of the night I carried on like a fool,” he said.

Get the latest news from thewest.com.au in your inbox.

Sign up for our emails