Fire crews battle Wellard blaze
Fire crews are currently battling an out of control blaze near Jamison Grove in Wellard.
There is currently no threat to lives or homes but residents in the area are being urged to monitor the situation.
No roads have been closed but motorists are being asked to avoid the area, reduce speed and drive carefully due to smoke.
The fire started at about 1pm near the intersection of Kwinana Freeway and Mundijong Road In Baldivis.
It is burning on the eastern side of the Kwinana Freeway, one kilometre south of Mortimer Road.
WHAT TO DO:
- Stay alert and monitor your surroundings.
- Watch for signs of a bushfire, especially smoke and flames.
- Close all doors and windows, and turn off evaporative air conditioners but keep water running through the system if possible.
- Read through your bushfire survival plan.
- If you do not have a plan decide what you will do if the situation gets worse.
- Be extremely careful when driving through the area.
- Turn your headlights on and drive slowly.
- Watch for emergency services personnel and follow their directions.
- If you cannot see clearly, pull over, keep your headlights and hazard lights on, and wait until the smoke clears.
- If you have a respiratory condition and you have been affected by smoke you should contact your local doctor or call Health Direct on 1800 022 222.
- The bushfire is moving slowly in a north easterly direction.
- It is out of control and unpredictable.
Road information may also be available from Main Roads WA by calling 138 138 or visiting www.mainroads.wa.gov.au OR CITY OF KWINANA
WHAT FIREFIGHTERS ARE DOING:
- Firefighters are on the scene, actively fighting the fire.
- The cause of the fire is unknown.
- DFES is managing the fire.
KEEP UP TO DATE:
Visit www.emergency.wa.gov.au, call 13 DFES (13 3337), follow DFES on Twitter: https://twitter.com/dfes_wa, Facebook: https://facebook.com/dfeswa/.
Get the latest news from thewest.com.au in your inbox.
Sign up for our emails