Crossroads as fatal spot upgrades keep stalling
Calls for changes to make the notorious intersection of Eighty Road and Sixty Eight Road in Baldivis safer for motorists have fallen on deaf ears.
The Sound Telegraph last week highlighted the notorious intersection following the death of a man when his motorbike and a car collided at the deadly intersection on Friday, May 1. The motorbike burst into flames.
It is the second fatality at the same spot in two years after a 45-year-old woman who was visiting Australia on holidays died when the car she was in and a cement truck collided in July 2018.
Baldivis MLA Reece Whitby said while the latest incident was still under investigation, the intersection had “proven well and truly” that it was a crash black spot and “desperately” needed replacing.
Mayor Barry Sammels last week said the City was keen to improve its safety but insisted its hands were tied in this instance.
He said the proposed extension of Nairn Drive, which would meet at the intersection of Sixty Eight Road and Eighty Road and would include a new roundabout, had been approved but would be carried out at the cost and discretion of developer Parkland Heights.
Rockingham Park managing director David Simpson — the landowner of Parkland Heights — could not say if or when construction of a roundabout would begin.
“With the economy down, the rate of sales dictates funding for the roundabout and there is only so much we can fund,” he said.
“We’ve been in the estate and in Rockingham for a long time and community safety is very important to us.
“We would be absolutely supportive of any traffic management or control measures that could be implemented to slow traffic in the area.”
A Main Roads spokeswoman said several improvements to the road signs and lines were undertaken last June.
She said rumble strips were installed on the Eighty Road southern approach to the intersection as well as stop ahead signs on the Eighty Road southern approach to the intersection; and additional stop signs on both approaches.
But there are no further plans to improve safety at the intersection, following the recent fatality.
“The responsibility for the investigation, design and funding provision for any traffic measures to address safety issues at this intersection rests with the City of Rockingham,” she said
Transport Minister Rita Saffioti said while these investigations into the latest “tragedy” were under way, she did not want to make further comment.
Mr Sammels also declined to provide further comment.
Get the latest news from thewest.com.au in your inbox.
Sign up for our emails