Claremont steadily bat for final berth

PHIL HEALSound Telegraph
The West logo

In a weekend of semifinals, Rockingham-Mandurah’s second-grade side took on Claremont-Nedlands at Breckler Park, Mt Lawley.

After finishing higher on the ladder, Claremont only needed a draw to advance to the final, so after winning the toss they had no hesitation in asking the Mariners to field.

Steady batting by the Claremont batsmen produced 60 runs.

With the introduction of spin, in the form of Ryan Done, the state of the game changed for the rest of the morning session.

By lunch the game was evenly poised with Claremont 3-80, but the rest of the day belonged to Claremont.

Despite Done producing 4-93 and the ever-improving Jake Rogers 3-87, the experienced Claremont side finished day one at 8-380.

Day two saw only two overs required to finish off the Claremont innings, who were all out for 386.

Dan Whiting (47) and Jayden Derosa (37) got the Mariners off to the perfect start, putting on a first-wicket stand of 69.

Craig George (31) and John Murphy (31) kept the scoreboard ticking over but the enormity of scoring six runs an over became too much for the Mariners batsmen.

Despite a late flurry of hard hitting by Rogers (39) and a gutsy rear-guard display by Josh Young (11), the Claremont bowlers soon had the remaining wickets and a deserving passage to the grand final, with the Mariners 207 all out.

Despite falling at the penultimate hurdle, credit must be given to all the players who have represented the second grade this season, helping to put them into their second finals campaign in recent years.

It will be left to the young guns of the club to fly the flag in next week’s finals.

Being sent in to bat against Wanneroo, the under-15 openers got the team off to another great start with Trent Goodrick (16) and Jordan Brokate (19) putting on 35 for the first wicket.

Two quick wickets fell which brought Aaron Burrage and Jake Eardley-Wilmot together. They continued their recent good form with another fantastic partnership of 109 to pressure the opposition bowlers.

When Burrage was dismissed for 77, it brought fresh batsmen to the crease and they continued to increase the run rate with Brayden Stander (24) and Matt Edwards (18) hitting quick runs.

Eardley-Wilmot was the last wicket to fall with a great knock of 72, taking the team to 7-249 With a good score to defend, the bowlers set about their task admirably with openers Burrage (2-15) and Edwards (3-28) getting early scalps, followed up by Brokate (3-30) and Rory Denis (1-15), who continued to build the pressure on the batsmen.

A great team fielding effort restricted the runs and secured a run out, easily accounting for Wanneroo who were dismissed for 134.

Rockingham-Mandurah under-15s now face a final against coastal rival Fremantle.

Get the latest news from in your inbox.

Sign up for our emails