Home

‘Extreme’: Warning as supercell storm, heatwave threatens south east Queensland, NSW

Clareese Packer, Emma Kirk and Alexandra FeiamNewsWire
Not Supplied
Camera IconNot Supplied Credit: Supplied

An insurance catastrophe has been declared in Queensland after severe storms, while NSW residents are bracing for a catastrophic fire danger, as the nation endures extreme weather events.

A catastrophic fire danger warning has been issued for residents in the NSW lower central west plains for Wednesday, with hot, dry and windy conditions forecast.

The NSW Rural Fire Service issued the warning for the first time in any part of NSW since September 2023.

“Catastrophic is the highest level of bush fire danger and the most dangerous conditions for a fire,” the RFS said in its warning.

“Your life may depend on the decisions you make, even before there is a fire.”

Eleven areas will be under a total fire ban, while other areas of the state are also expected to experience extreme fire danger.

This includes the Greater Hunter, Greater Sydney, Illawarra, Shoalhaven, Central Ranges, North Western, Upper Central West Plains, Southern Slopes, Eastern Riverina, Southern Riverina and Northern Riverina.

The extreme fire danger is also likely to continue into Thursday for some parts of the state.

“For your survival, leaving a fire risk area is your safest course of action,” NSW RFS said.

“Stay safe by going to a safer location early in the morning or the night before.

“Stay out of paddocks and bushland areas during the hottest parts of the day.

“Homes cannot withstand fires in these conditions.”

Some schools in high risk areas may be closed.

Fire ban information for Wednesday.
Camera IconFire ban information for Wednesday. Credit: Supplied Source Known

Queensland storms

Meanwhile, an insurance catastrophe has been declared after severe storms battered southeast Queensland.

Roofs were torn off homes, cars were toppled over and cricket-ball-sized hail fell in some areas.

The Insurance Council of Australia said 16,000 claims had already been lodged in 140 postcodes.

However, the extent of the damage bill is not yet known.

Almost 75,000 properties remain without power.

Energex warned people should take care while clearing debris that could be covering fallen powerlines.

“The restoration of power is likely to continue late into Wednesday in some areas, due to the extent of the damage and difficult access,” a statement said.

The stormy weather is expected to continue.

Wild weather

Earlier on Tuesday, a severe thunderstorm warning was issued for the Central West Slopes and Tablelands, with a fast-moving storm threatening the Hunter, Central Tablelands, North West Slopes and Plains and Central West Slopes and Plains forecast districts.

“Severe thunderstorms are likely to produce damaging winds in the warning area over the next several hours,” a Bureau of Meteorology statement read.

The thunderstorm could bring extensive damage to Mudgee, Coonabarabran, Merriwa, Gulgong, Mullaley and Tambar Springs.

Thunderstorms are coming for NSW on Tuesday. Picture: Bureau Of Meteorology
Camera IconThunderstorms are coming for NSW on Tuesday. Bureau Of Meteorology Credit: Supplied Source Known
Isolated thunderstorms are expected to smash central NSW. Picture: Bureau Of Meteorology
Camera IconIsolated thunderstorms are expected to smash central NSW. Bureau Of Meteorology Credit: Supplied Source Known

Meanwhile, the bureau issued an urgent warning for residents in NSW, as damaging and blistering winds in excess of 90km/h tear through the southeast.

Locations that may be affected include Wollongong, Goulburn, Nowra, Katoomba, Bowral and Braidwood.

The bureau urged residents to secure all items and move their vehicles away from trees.

“Keep at least 8m away from fallen power lines or objects that may be energised, such as fences,” it said.

“Trees that have been damaged by fire are likely to be more unstable and more likely to fall.”

It will be a scorcher for much of Queensland and NSW this week. Picture: NewsWire Monique Harmer
Camera IconIt will be a scorcher for much of Queensland and NSW this week. NewsWire Monique Harmer Credit: News Corp Australia

Further north, an “extreme” heatwave warning has been put in place for the North Tropical Coast and Tablelands, as well as Herbert and Lower Burdekin, Central Coast and Whitsundays and Channel Country.

A severe heatwave warning has been issued for the Peninsula, Gulf Country, Northern Goldfields and Upper Flinders, Capricornia, Central Highlands and Coalfields, Central West, North West, Maranoa and Warrego, Darling Downs and Granite Belt, Wide Bay and Burnett and Southeast Coast.

The bureau warned the extreme temperatures are expected to increase and intensify before the middle of the week, with maximum temperatures forecast to tip past 40C across Brisbane, Charters Towers, Clermont, Cloncurry, Charleville, Gladstone, Longreach, Mount Isa, Rockhampton and Winton.

“Conditions in the south and west are expected to ease from the middle of the week and contract to the east,” the bureau website says.

Temperatures are expected to exceed 40C in some areas. Picture: Christian Gilles / NewsWire
Camera IconTemperatures are expected to exceed 40C in some areas. Christian Gilles / NewsWire Credit: News Corp Australia

Wild footage has revealed the shocking devastation caused by a major storm that ripped through South East Queensland on Monday, with more than 90,000 homes and businesses still without power and more storms on the way.

The clean-up has begun for thousands of Queenslanders after a wild storm tore through Brisbane and its surrounds, with destructive winds and intense lightning battering the state.

Houses have been torn apart. Picture: 9News
Camera IconHouses have been torn apart. 9News Credit: Channel 9
Locals could only watch in shock. Picture: 9News
Camera IconLocals could only watch in shock. 9News Credit: Channel 9

The devastating winds knocked down trees, some of which smashed onto roads.

Enormous trees buckled and crashed onto cars, and the wind was so intense that it ripped the roofs off buildings and forced cars onto their sides.

Locals stood in the middle of streets as the fauna toppled around them.

The wind toppled cars and dragged trees to the ground. Picture: 9News
Camera IconThe wind toppled cars and dragged trees to the ground. 9News Credit: Channel 9
The storms caused widespread damage. Picture: 9News
Camera IconThe storms caused widespread damage. 9News Credit: Channel 9

The SES received more than 2200 calls as the supercell storm wreaked havoc, smashing thousands with enormous hailstones and destructive winds.

There is a massive clean-up effort under way to restore buildings. Picture: 9News
Camera IconThere is a massive clean-up effort under way to restore buildings. 9News Credit: Channel 9
About 90,000 houses remain in the dark on Tuesday morning. Picture: 9News
Camera IconAbout 90,000 houses remain in the dark on Tuesday morning. 9News Credit: Channel 9

The majority of the call-outs were related to structural damage including fallen trees, collapsed roofs and smashed windows.

The Bureau of Meteorology warned there was more wild weather on the way for much of Australia’s east coast, as a band of thunderstorms pass over Queensland, NSW, parts of Victoria and Tasmania.

“The focus will really be across NSW and Queensland,” meteorologist Jonathan How said.

More than 880,000 lightning strikes were recorded across southeast Queensland on Monday. Picture: Lightningmaps
Camera IconMore than 880,000 lightning strikes were recorded across southeast Queensland on Monday. Lightningmaps Credit: Supplied Source Known

“In Queensland, we are expecting thunderstorms across much of the state again today.

“The focus really is across the southeast of the state.”

Residents from the Gold Coast Scenic Rim to Brisbane, the Sunshine Coast and Wide Bay area are in the firing line for more large hail, destructive winds and heavy rainfall.

“In NSW, we are expecting thunderstorms for most of the state, but severe thunderstorms are possible all the way, from Sydney up to the Hunter, Northern Tablelands, Mid North Coast and Northern Rivers,” Mr How said.

Large hail and damaging winds are also forecast across the coast from Grafton to Byron Bay inland as well as Moree and through the Northern Tablelands.

A very dangerous thunderstorm has hit Brisbane, with residents warned giant hail and heavy rain is battering the city.

Homes and businesses across the state were plunged into darkness on Monday as the storms tore down power lines and trees, initially leaving 162,000 without electricity.

There were about 880,000 lightning strikes recorded during the storms, while strong winds tore down trees, homes and 600 power lines.

About 95,000 homes and businesses remain without power as of Tuesday morning.

According to Energex, 54,000 homes in Moreton Bay are without power, as well as 14,000 on the Sunshine Coast and 9000 in Noosa.

A further 7000 in Ipswich remain without power, as well as 6200 in the Gympie Regional Council area, 3200 in Somerset and 700 in Logan.

In Brisbane, about 1700 remain in the dark as crews work to restore electricity.

The SES received thousands of call-outs. Picture: Facebook
Camera IconThe SES received thousands of call-outs. Facebook Credit: Supplied Source Known

An Energex spokesperson told NewsWire it might take several hours to restore everyone’s electricity safely, and crews would rely on two helicopters around the Ipswich, Brisbane North and Sunshine Coast areas to assess further damage.

“The restoration of power is likely to continue late into Wednesday in some areas, due to the extent of the damage and difficult access,” they said.

“Energex asks for residents to take extreme care when cleaning up storm debris, particularly fallen trees and vegetation, as fallen powerlines may be hidden underneath debris and could well be live.”

Overnight, giant hailstones measuring 11cm were reported in parts of Brisbane, while wind gusts up to 107km/h were recorded at the airport.

Wind gusts reaching 120km/h were recorded in Gladstone, while Rundle Island reported gusts in excess of 117km/h.

More than 90,000 people remain without power on Tuesday. Picture: NewsWire/Tertius Pickard
Camera IconMore than 90,000 people remain without power on Tuesday. NewsWire/Tertius Pickard Credit: News Corp Australia
More storms are on the way. Picture: NewsWire/Tertius Picka<b>rd</b>
Camera IconMore storms are on the way. NewsWire/Tertius Picka<b>rd</b> Credit: News Corp Australia

‘Extreme heat’ smashes Queensland, NSW

On Monday, the bureau recorded temperatures reaching 46C in Windorah and 45C in Winton and Longreach.

Other regions of Queensland, including Roma, Blackwater, St George and Claremont, also suffered a scorching day as the mercury tipped above 40C.

It will be another hot day on Tuesday, with temperatures forecast to tip 10C above the monthly average, Mr How warned.

“We are expecting another hot day today, particularly about the coast,” he said.

“That will reach up to the low to mid 30s along the coast and the mid to high 30s for places inland and still remaining above 40 degrees for many locations further towards western parts of Queensland.”

The bureau warned of an “extreme heatwave” for residents in the North Tropical Coast and Tablelands, Herbert and Lower Burdekin, Central Coast and Whitsundays and the Channel Country.

A severe heatwave warning is in place for Peninsula, Gulf Country, Northern Goldfields and Upper Flinders, Capricornia, Central Highlands and Coalfields, Central West, North West, Maranoa and Warrego, Darling Downs and Granite Belt, Wide Bay and Burnett and Southeast Coast.

The warning has been put in place from Sunday to Wednesday.

Heatwave warnings have also been issued across Queensland. Picture: Bureau of Meteorology.
Camera IconHeatwave warnings have also been issued across Queensland. Bureau of Meteorology. Credit: Supplied

Residents in the affected areas have been warned to seek out places to keep cool, including at home, libraries, community centres or shopping centres.

“Extreme heatwaves can be dangerous for everyone,” the Bureau have warned.

“Severe heatwaves can be dangerous for many people, especially older people, babies, children, pregnant and breastfeeding women, people with medical conditions and people who are unwell.

“Close your windows and draw blinds, curtains or awnings early in the day to keep the heat out of your home.

“If available, use fans or airconditioners to keep cool.”

Maximum temperatures are set to soar between the low to mid forties across western and central areas in the state, with minimums to remain in the mid to high twenties.

“Severe to extreme heatwave conditions are expected to intensify and extend eastwards over coming days to cover the majority of the state by early next week,” the Bureau warned.

“Heatwave conditions are expected to begin to ease over the south and west from the middle of next week but persist across the north and east.”

Large hail at Wights Mountain near Samford, west of Brisbane. Picture: Facebook/Katie Small
Camera IconLarge hail at Wights Mountain near Samford, west of Brisbane. Facebook/Katie Small Credit: Supplied

Originally published as ‘Extreme’: Warning as supercell storm, heatwave threatens south east Queensland, NSW

Get the latest news from thewest.com.au in your inbox.

Sign up for our emails