NSW med student suspended on DV charges

Greta StonehouseAAP
A medical student fighting DV charges says he's the victim and should be able to work in hospitals.
Camera IconA medical student fighting DV charges says he's the victim and should be able to work in hospitals. Credit: AAP

A medical student fighting domestic violence charges in NSW says he's the victim and should not be stopped from working in hospitals.

Cameron Hyland is completing his final year of medicine at Newcastle University and was looking to work as a junior doctor in January 2022.

But the Medical Council of NSW suspended his registration in August following multiple domestic violence charges in 2019 and 2021 involving the same woman, that Mr Hyland failed to report.

Of particular concern was Mr Hyland's admission that certain behaviours of his "could be perceived as abusive, controlling and intimidating behaviour" towards the woman, he said at an August hearing this year.

But Mr Hyland ultimately submitted that "he was the victim of domestic violence" perpetrated by the person, and had sought medical advice and treatment for issues relating to her behaviour.

The medical student is appealing his suspension and while awaiting that outcome sought a stay of the decision to continue his training.

This was refused by the Civil and Administrative Tribunal on Thursday, finding his proposed grounds of appeal "has low prospects of success".

In May 2019 Mr Hyland was charged following alleged domestic violence including choking and assault, but the case was dismissed four months later by the Newcastle Local Court.

While Mr Hyland gave evidence, the complainant did not "to protect (his) future career in medicine," the medical tribunal stated.

Mr Hyland was again arrested in March this year and charged with similar offences against the same person including common assault, and intentionally or recklessly destroying property.

He has pleaded not guilty to both charges, and due to COVID-19 the case has been pushed back to some time in 2022.

The Medical Council conducted a hearing into Mr Hyland in August after it was notified of the alleged conduct by an acquaintance of his.

Mr Hyland says he failed to notify the national board because he was not aware it was his responsibility to do so.

In suspending his registration the council noted the new "serious domestic violence allegations" were of a similar nature to the ones two years prior, and of which he could still be convicted.

Part of Mr Hyland's appeal states that the reasons provided "are simply too brief as to why suspension was found to be warranted in this case".

It went on to say he would experience unfair prejudice if the suspension continued, fearing he would not be able to start work until at least 2023.

But the tribunal rejected the stay application while pertaining to his presumption of innocence and the earlier acquittal.

It noted the decision had been made following close questioning of Mr Hyland, and the paramount consideration was protecting the health and safety of the public.

Get the latest news from thewest.com.au in your inbox.

Sign up for our emails