Dog dies after being left chained up outside without water on 41C day
A dog has died in Perth’s southern suburbs after it was tied up outside in sweltering heat and left without water or shade.
The RSPCA attended a house in Kelmscott after reports a dog was left tied up with no access to shade or water on Tuesday, where the mercury reached a scorching 41C.
Inspectors were called to the Kelmscott home, but by the time they arrived the dog had died.
A similar report was made last month after a dog in Cloverdale died because it was left tied up in the sweltering heat with no water.
Perth is experiencing yet another heatwave, and the RSPCA has warned dog owners to not leave their animals tied up outside and without water.
“Dogs should only ever be tethered as a short term or temporary solution and never in extreme heat,” the RSPCA said in a statement.
“If dogs are tied up, the should always have access to shade and water.
“With temperatures continuing to soar across WA, the RSPCA is again pleading with pet owners to remember that animals need protection from extreme weather too.”
Inspector manager Kylie Green said owners need to take a few simple actions to ensure their pets are safe and comfortable.
“Make sure pets have access to shade, or better yet, bring them inside in the cool,” Ms Green said.
“Give them access to plenty of cool water -- always more than one source in case one gets knocked over -- and consider setting up a clam pool or similar for them to splash around in.
“Bring smaller pets inside, including birds, and give rabbits, guinea pigs and rats cool toys like frozen water bottles to lie on.”
Ms Green added that dogs should not be walked during the heat of the day otherwise their paws will burn.
“If you can’t leave your hand on the road, footpath or sand at the beach comfortably for five seconds, then their paws will burn.”
It comes after the RSPCA received 140 calls of dogs being left in hot cars this summer, labelling it “astounding.”
“Dogs die in hot cars in a matter of minutes and ever the shortest spells can leave them with heatstroke or permanent organ damage,” Ms Green said.
It is an offence under the Animal Welfare Act 2002 to cause unnecessary harm to an animal.
Offenders can be prosecuted and face up to five years in prison and face a $50,000 fine.
Get the latest news from thewest.com.au in your inbox.
Sign up for our emails