Australians being warned of dangerous hazards in kids’ toys ahead of Easter

Daniela PizziraniNCA NewsWire
Not Supplied
Camera IconNot Supplied Credit: News Regional Media

Australians shopping for Easter gifts have been warned some toys could be dangerous and even deadly for children.

Flashing toys including bunny ears, festive earrings, flashing Easter eggs and musical cards containing button batteries have been labelled “potentially deadly” for youngsters, if swallowed.

The high-powered magnets could be mistaken by kids for coins or lollies and trigger a chemical reaction that burns through body tissue.

Despite the small discs being banned from sale in Australia, data from Kidsafe Australia found about 20 children every week were admitted to Australian hospitals for ingesting a button battery.

Button Cell Batteries
Camera IconButton batteries can be found in many popular Easter toys and novelty gifts. Supplied. Credit: News Regional Media

As Easter festivities edge nearer, Queensland Attorney-General and Justice Minister Shannon Fentiman warned parents to check the labelling and choking hazards on toys.

“Buying bunny ears that light up or flashing Easter egg decorations may seem fun, but what consumers may not know is that these items can contain potentially deadly button batteries,” she said.

“As well as being used in novelty products and toys, they’re also found in many common household items such as remotes and key fobs, so it’s important to check these and put them out of children’s reach.”

Fair Trading Australia also sounded the alarm on flammable children’s nightwear, as pyjamas were a common Easter gift heading towards winter.

They urged parents to steer clear of buying pyjamas containing a “high fire hazard symbol” on them, an indication the material had a higher chance of catching alight.

PRESSER Attorney-General Shannon Fentiman
Camera IconAttorney-General Shannon Fentiman delivered the warning. Photo: NCA NewsWire / Dan Peled Credit: News Corp Australia

“Easter is a wonderful time to get together with family to enjoy a well-deserved break and often to exchange gifts,” Ms Fentiman said.

“But let’s all make sure it’s remembered for the right reasons and not for an unforeseen accident.”

To keep children safe, the compartment in household devices which houses a button battery should be child-resistant, such as being secured with a screw.

If the item is damaged or the button battery compartment does not close securely, it should not be used.

Instead, it should be kept away from children and disposed of safely as soon as possible.

Common household items which may contain button batteries also include remote controls, car keys, watches, reading lights and fitness devices.

If you suspect your child has swallowed or inserted a button battery, call the Poisons Information Centre immediately on 13 11 26.

Originally published as Australians being warned of dangerous hazards in kids’ toys ahead of Easter

Get the latest news from in your inbox.

Sign up for our emails